Cashew Alfredo Pasta
Pasta is my favourite dish of all time. I love creamy sauces, but usually avoid them because they make me feel tired and heavy afterwards. I've created a delicious Alfredo that doesn't have dairy and still tastes indulgent. This dish is perfect for a quick weeknight meal, date night, or dinner party. Try this out- you'll love it!
3/4 cup roasted cashews
3 large mushrooms, sliced
1/4 red onion, diced
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup nut milk ( I used almond)
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp nutritional yeast ( gives it a cheesy flavour)
1 tsp paprika
pinch of salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tbsp tamari
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 handful fresh parsley
2 servings pasta ( I prefer pasta you can twirl for this dish)
1. Put the roasted cashews in a bowl, and pour in boiling water until covered. Soak them for a half hour, drain, and set aside.
2. To a pan on medium heat, add oil, garlic and onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook until the onion is translucent. Set aside to cool.
3. In the same pan, cook the mushrooms until slightly soft ( don't let them get mushy). Season with salt, pepper, and tamari (or soy sauce), set aside.
4. In a blender: add the cashews, cooked onions and garlic, nut milk, maple syrup, nutritional yeast, 2 tbsp lemon juice, lots of salt and pepper and paprika. Blend until smooth.
5. Cook your noodles and drain. Add 1 tbsp of the pasta water to your sauce. Blend again.
6. Pour the sauce over the noodles, add on the mushrooms, and toss well.
To serve, top with a squeeze of lemon, lots of fresh parsley, salt, pepper, more paprika, and chili flakes.
Follow along on Instagram (@aspoonfulofscience) for more recipes, tips and info!