Greek Power Bowl
NOURISH with this beautiful powerbowl! It's fresh, flavourful, and loaded with nutrients, slow-burning carbs, protein and healthy fats. This is a meal you won't get tired of: tangy olives, peppery arugula, lemony lentils, Greek dressing... I'll go on! This bowl will keep you feeling energized and ready to power through your day.
*makes 2 servings
1 cup raw quinoa, cook according to package directions. *when cooked, quinoa expands so 1 cup makes about 3.5 cups cooked quinoa.
1 cup cucumber, peeled and chopped
1 cup grape tomatoes, cut in half
½ cup green pepper, chopped
¼ cup thinly sliced red onion (can omit)
1/3 cup sliced kalamata olives (or any olive you have on hand)
1/3 cup feta cheese/nondairy feta cheese
2 cups arugula (can also use spinach or romaine)
1 cup lentils
4 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
Juice of ½ a lemon
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/8 tsp salt, generous pepper
1/3 cup olive oil
1. Cook the quinoa according to package directions. Set aside when finished until you assemble the bowl in the last step.
*Tip: I boil 2 cups of water for every 1 cup of quinoa. Once the water is boiling, add in the raw quinoa, and stir gently. Cover and simmer (high simmer) for 13 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once it’s done, turn off the heat, open the lid, put a piece of paper towel on top, close the lid, and let it steam for 5 minutes for extra fluffy quinoa. So easy!
2. While the quinoa cooks, prep all of your veggies and set them aside.
3. Heat the lentils. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a pan, add in 1 clove mashed garlic, the lentils, ¼ tsp salt and pepper. Cook until the lentils are heated and set aside.
4. Make the dressing. Whisk all ingredients together, adding in the olive oil last, until everything is mixed.
5. Assemble! Top with some tzatziki or hummus. Enjoy this heart-healthy lunch/dinner idea!