Spicy Sweet Potato Soup
This is fall in a soup!
With the shift in seasons, it’s time to transition into warming spices and autumn veggies. This soup is made with sweet potato, ginger, apples and creamy coconut and topped with toasted pumpkin seeds. It’s spicy, fragrant and cozy! To make this heartier, add in some lentils or chickpeas.
Vibrant orange sweet potatoes have the highest amounts of beta-carotene, which is a precursor to vitamin A (vital for vision), B6, potassium and fiber. They’re loaded with nutrition and are a perfect addition to make soups creamy and nutritious. Bonus… boiling sweet potatoes helps to retain the beta-carotene more than baking, and makes beta-carotene easier to absorb!
2 tbsp oil of choice
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 big clove garlic, minced
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
1 inch chopped ginger
1 small red apple, chopped
2 cups coconut milk
2 cups water
Salt, pepper to taste
Cayenne ½ tsp (can omit)
Curry powder 1/2 tsp
Turmeric ½ tsp
1 tsp sriracha (can omit)
Squeeze of lemon
Optional: pumpkin seeds
1. In a pan on medium heat, add in the oil and cook the onion, ginger and garlic until fragrant (a few mins).
2. Add in the sweet potato, carrot, apple, coconut milk, water, cayenne, curry powder, turmeric, salt and pepper to taste. Add more water if needed.
3. Bring everything to a boil, simmer until you can pierce the sweet potato/carrot easily with a fork. Add in the sriracha and a squeeze of lemon.
4. Use an immersion blender or blender of choice to puree the soup until smooth. Adjust spices to taste.
5. Serve with some toasted pumpkin seeds and more pepper.
I hope you love this soup!
Follow along on Instagram for more recipes, tips and info! (@aspoonfulofscience)