Autumn Harvest Power Bowl
This is fall in a bowl!
Enjoy a mix of fluffy quinoa, vibrant kale, juicy green apple, cinnamon-roasted sweet potato, toasted pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries with a maple-mustard vinaigrette. Nourish yourself with colourful whole foods that keep you full, satisfied and energized all day. Eating more plants can be so easy and delicious- feel good about what you're putting into your body! Try this recipe out for your next meatless meal. This is a mix of cooked and raw foods as we transition into cooler weather.
Here's how to make it:
*makes 2 servings
Maple Mustard vinaigrette:
1/4 cup olive oil
4 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
salt, pepper to taste
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1 medium sweet potato
1 large bunch lacinato kale, destemmed and chopped
1 green apple, thinly sliced
Pumpkin seeds (about 1/8 cup)
Dried cranberries (about 1/8 cup)
1 cup cooked quinoa
1. Prep the sweet potato by peeling and cutting into cubes, toss with oil and 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp paprika, salt, pepper.
2. Lay the cubes flat on a baking sheet lined with parchment and bake in the oven at 400F for 20 mins, flipping halfway through.
3. Cook the quinoa according to package instructions. * My method: bring 2 cups of water to a boil, add in 1 cup of dry quinoa, mix well. Cover the pot and let cook on high simmer for 13 minutes, stirring once or twice during this time. Turn off the heat, remove pot from hot plate and add in a piece of paper towel to the top of the pot, close the lid again for about 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork, and you have perfect quinoa every time!
4. Wash, de-stem and chop the kale and add to a bowl with a pinch of salt and a drizzle of olive oil. Massage the kale with your hands for a couple of minutes to soften the leaves.
5. Thinly slice the green apple. Set aside.
6. Make the dressing: whisk all dressing ingredients together.
7. Assemble the bowl: add in the quinoa, sweet potato, kale, cranberries, pumpkin seeds, apple, and top with dressing.
Hope you love this! If you make this, tag me in your recipe photos.
Keep following along on @aspoonfulofscience on IG for more recipes and lifestyle tips.