The Ultimate Taco Bowl
Monday is the perfect taco night... start the week off with some taco bowls that are guaranteed to be a hit.
This is one of my personal favourites. To avoid extra preservatives and salt typically found in packaged taco kits, I prefer to make my own seasoning and prep my own ingredients from scratch! In no time, you'll have a flavourful, healthy and easy dinner that's fun to make. Here's how to do it!
Makes about 3 servings, but double this recipe for more.
Beyond Beef seasoning:
1 tsp Chili powder
1/2 tsp Cumin
1/4 tsp Garlic powder
1 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Pepper
1/4 tsp Paprika
*This spice mix is for 1 package of beyond beef. If using a larger amount, consider doubling the spice mix.
*Adjust to your taste preference too: add more salt, or make spicier if needed.
Beyond Beef Prep:
1 package ground Beyond beef (12 oz) *can use other ground protein of choice
1 tbsp Oil
1/3 cup white onion, chopped
1 clove minced garlic
2 tbsp tomato paste
*Feel free to swap the Beyond Beef for any protein of choice: use what you have on hand to make prep even easier and faster. Black beans go really well in this bowl too!
2 tomatoes, chopped
2 heads romaine lettuce, chopped
Shredded cheese of choice
Cashew Sour Cream (recipe below)
Squeeze of Lime
*Chop up extra tomatoes and lettuce if you’re serving a bigger crowd.
Cashew Sour Cream:
1 cup cashews
1/2 cup water
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
*This makes 1 cup. I’d recommend doubling this recipe if you’d like to
have some extra to use throughout the week.
Get creative! Try pickled onions, avocado slices, fresh cilantro, guacamole, jalapenos and/or hot sauce.
1. Mix the seasoning spices together (chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne). This will be used to season the beef in the next step.
2. Heat the oil in a pan, add in the minced garlic, chopped onion. Let cook until fragrant.
3. Add in the ground beyond beef and spice mix. Mix well, and add in the tomato paste. Mix and cook until brown and sizzling. Set aside.
4. Make the cashew sour cream. Soak the cashews in boiling water and let sit for 30 mins. Drain the cashews and blend with water, salt, lemon juice and apple cider vinegar until smooth.
5. Assemble the bowl and dig in! If serving family style, everyone can pick their own toppings and assemble their own bowls. Add in lettuce, beyond beef, tomato, shredded cheese of choice, cashew sour cream, salsa, and a squeeze of lime. Add in some rice for a heartier version. Don’t forget the garnishes! You can also turn these into regular tacos or burritos if you’d prefer.
Hope you love this for your next taco night... why not try this tonight!